Friday, July 20

Paperbabe Stamps Challenge #78 ~ Theme It Flies

Good morning, thank you for visiting today,
I'm sure lots of you have children finishing for their summer hols today, my DS still has a couple of days to go... but in the mean time we have our wonderful fortnightly challenge over at the Paperbabe Stamps blog...

So I was totally inspired by the very talented Emma Petitt who got me out of my creative slump with her amazing class that was part of the free Art is Magic retreat, run by the wonderful Galia Alena. 

I used a tote bag as my canvas, I followed most of Emma's steps, with applying gelli prints and stencil marking and texture paste, not that they can be seen now... it's all part of the process :)
But what I totally loved was using simple tools, I used only a palette knife and wide flat brush for this piece. I did use the female face stamp for my base, and painted it in rough layers, very fun, will have to try this technique again.
as well as using the mermaid hair and head and torso templates, I love the fusions of tools this way. The angel/fairy wings I used as a mask really and blended ink through to create the shadow, then applied some yummy iridescent acrylics to make them shimmer.
The sentiment worked out so beautifully, I love love love how the tissue just disappears into the background making the text part of a single surface, yum!
So, many moons ago I used some clearly for art and thought this material would work perfectly for my dimensional butterflies, it's solid and holds its own, I did add a little stitch to the bodies of each to be sure they would remain secure, when or if the bag is in use.
A couple of texture shots.

I thought I would enter my piece into a few other challenges too:
Rhedds creative spirit ~ July Challenge
More mixed media ~ anything goes
Mix it up challenge ~ anything goes(mixed media)
Not just cards ~ anything goes
Artistic inspirations ~ anything goes
We love 2 create ~ anything goes
Altered eclectics ~ anything goes(mixed media)
Paint party friday ~ Week 20
thank you

click pics for direct links


Enjoy a wonderfully creative weekend
HuGs Kim x

19 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful work, love the depth of the many layers. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

JFM said...

Wow!!! This is gorgeous!!!

Happy PPF 🎨

sirkkis said...

I really love your wonderful art work. The technique is great and you made it super way.
Happy PPF 🌸

Loose Stitches said...

Oh WOW Kim, such a gorgeous creation! Love the image and design, fabulous!
Crafty Hugs,
Sherry xx
Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

LA Paylor said...

You make me want to find my paints again. love the texture shots

SLScheibe said...

Looks gorgeous! It's really wonderful :)

Susan said...

This is gorgeous. And I love the texture. Happy PPF

Christine said...

Beautiful work!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what an amazing project! I love your beautiful angel and the colours you chose with the fabulous quote and butterfly are stunning 😁. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊 x

Clare Lloyd said...

She is gorgeous

Linda Kunsman said...

She is just gorgeous!! I love the depth and layers and especially how you made wonderful use of the stamps yet made it your own. Happy PPF!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

She is truly AMAZING Kim..!! Love those stencilled layers and how the canvas holds the texture. Canvas is a beautiful media to work on..
BIG Hugs Tracey xx

Maria Nicotra Tinyworks said...

Thank you for joining us at challenge Artisctic Inspiration
DT Maria

DVArtist said...

Wow she is beautiful. Great entry for the contest.

A Colorful World said...

Sometimes some fresh inspiration is needed! Just lovely!

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

I'm so glad you are inspired Kim. Your woman is wonderful a real treat. Thank you for joining in with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit Challenge this month.

Sandra Wright. said...

Beautiful artwork..loving the tote bag so much..it's stunning.
Thank you so much for playing along in our challenge this month at Rhedd's Creative Spirit..xx

hazel said...

I love this lots, it’s gorgeous, thank you for sharing it with us at Altered Eclectics.
xxx Hazel.

Sammy said...

this is fab! Love all the texture... Not something I'd expect on a bag! Thank you for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics this month. Sammy-x

All Craft Sites

Since 21.08 You're Number...

Top 40 Arts and Crafts Websites